Gift Boxes; Packaging Design has Never Been so Important
According to data gathered by Finder.com, the average Brit was forecast to spend £512.85 on gifts this Christmas. The other interesting fact is that as a nation, the spend on gifts is not restricted to the festive season; we are buying more throughout the year.
For retailers wishing to target the gifting market, it is import to understand what is ticking consumer’s boxes. From eye-catching design to on-trend products, we explore gift boxes.
Designing Bespoke Gift Boxes
The reality is that, when it comes to gifts, the person making the purchase is unlikely to open the box. This means that the packaging design has to do all of the work. Gift boxes need to:
- Be sufficiently eye-catching to grab attention, both in-store and in digital images.
- Clearly illustrate that this is the ideal gift for the person they have in mind, rather than a generic design.
- Change with the seasons – showing that it is the perfect gift for a summer garden party, Mother’s Day or Christmas.
- Be ‘Instagram-able’, that means to say that the recipient will want to photograph and share images of the gift on social media.
- Be easily identifiable with the brand; particularly important for desirable, high-end goods.
Sustainable Gift Boxes
In addition to having a strong aesthetic appeal, gift packaging should be up to the expectations of ethical shoppers. As such, plastic packaging should be minimised or eliminated and there is no scope for excessive layers or packaging materials.
If it is possible to encourage packaging reuse, this is a bonus. A decorative printed box is more likely to be kept and repurposed. You might include tips on how to transform the packaging into alternative uses. The inclusion of templates (for example on craft gift boxes) can also be effective. In short, the focus is on sustainable packaging.
If you have a great idea for gift boxes and you want some assistance with packaging design and print, call Aylesbury Box Company on 01296 436888. Our bespoke cardboard packaging solutions can be designed and manufactured to protect and present any product range. We are happy to advise on techniques and print finishes to realise your brief for highly desirable gift boxes.
What’s Inside the Box?
Flowers or chocolates used to be the go-to gift products. These remain popular, however, there are a number of gift ranges that have proved popular during the festive period.
- Care boxes, filled with goods that promote relaxation and wellness.
- Artisan food gift boxes with flavours that will intrigue and delight foodies.
- Crafting boxes with everything needed to complete a small, creative project. From painting and sewing to engineering and wood crafts, there is scope to appeal to a broad range of people.
- Experience boxes with a voucher and a small related gift, such as a box of fine tea with a voucher for Afternoon Tea, or a spice selection with a cookery school voucher.
Personalisation is another factor that buyers are looking for. This includes gifts which are engraved with names, printed with star signs, or tailored to suit specific hobbies. ‘Create your Own’ gift boxes also offer a degree of personalisation. For these, the company offers a choice of printed box sizes and a range of potential products to go inside. The buyer makes their decision based on what would mean most to the recipient.
If there is potential to sell your goods as part of a gift box, it is an ideal time to explore a new and potentially lucrative market. For independent producers, collaboration with other businesses can be the key to a successful gift box. What products have a natural link to yours? Who is targeting the same recipients? Remember to get in touch; we can assist with the all-important packaging design.